Capacity Development and Awareness Raising Specialist
In the framework of the Vietnamese-Belgian bilateral cooperation, the Provincial Project Management Unit requests applications for: Capacity Development and Awareness raising Specialist (Vietnamese)
The Water Supply and Sanitation Programme (WSSP) operates in 6 districts of Binh Dinh Province, in order to:
(1) Develop the capacity of the agencies in charge of planning, design, implementation and management of rural water schemes and solid waste management systems
(2) Raise the awareness on the use of safe drinking water and on the preservation of water resources as well as on the importance of protecting the environment with proper recycling, disposal and treatment of domestic solid waste
(3) Construct rural water systems
(4) Implement solid waste treatment schemes.
The project started in august 2009 and will end in august 2014.
C O M P O N E N T “ AW AR E N E S S R AI S I N G ”
Awareness raising strategies and action plans are developed and implemented together with the key agencies responsible of awareness raising on waste and clean drinking water in rural areas, and integrated into these key agencies’ current awareness raising plans, in accordance with the provincial or district waste management plans / rural water supply plans.
Partner organisations with a responsibility in the awareness raising program include:
- Provincial level: the Environment Protection Agency of the Dept. Of Natural Resources and Environment and the Provincial Center for Rural Water Supply and Sanitation (key partner agencies)
- District level: DoNRE- and DARD-divisions, Women Union, Youth Union, Health Center, DoET-division
- Commune level: CPC, DoNRE- and DARD-responsibles, Women Union, Youth Union, Health Center, Veteran’s association, Farmers’ union, hamlet leaders, school boards.
C O M P O N E N T “ C AP AC I T Y D E V E L O P M E N T ”
The capacity development strategy of the project covers institutional-organisational and individual capacity enhancement for key partner organisations in the three sectors of the project: (1) water supply, (2) waste Water Supply and Sanitation in Binh Dinh Province management, and (3) irrigation. For each of these sectors, a separate and adapted action plan is being developed (and needs further detailing), according to the existing situation of the sector and its stakeholders.
Key partner organisations to target institutional-organisational capacity development strategy to, include:
- Water Supply: Provincial Center for Rural Water Supply and Sanitation
- Waste management: 4 DPC’s, but also provincial DoNRE and DoC
- Irrigation: DARD, 1 DPC, 1 CPC and 2 agricultural cooperatives
- The Awareness Raising and Capacity Development Specialist will be a member of the Provincial Project
- Management Unit (PPMU) of the programme and assist the director of the PPMU and the International Technical
- Advisor in setting up and implementing the activities related to capacity development and awareness raising. His duty will be to coordinate and supervise (a) the implementation of the project’s approved strategy for Capacity Development of stakeholders in three sectors of the project: (1) irrigation, (2) water supply and (3) solid waste management, and (b) the project’s approved strategy for Awareness raising of government staff and the public in these three sectors.
The duty station is Quy Nhon City, Binh Dinh Province.
The duration of contract is until (approx.) august 2014 (38 months).
The foreseen starting date is 1 July 2011.
Specific duties of the CAS, in relation to the awareness raising program, are to:
- Support the PPMU in carrying out the approved strategies of the PPMU on environmental awareness raising related to water resources and solid waste management for Province, Districts and communes.
- Assist the key partner agencies in the implementation of the action plans and to prepare new plans.
- Ensure continuous improvement and integration (also budget-wise) of the awareness raising strategies and activities in the current water supply and waste management plans of the key partner agencies responsible of awareness raising in the Province, Districts and communes.
- Provide guidance through “on the job training” to improve functional capacities (to engage stakeholders, to assess a situation and define a vision and mandate, to formulate policies and strategies, to budget, manage and implement, to evaluate and capitalize) and technical capacities (related to communication & awarenessraising for waste management and for water supply) of the key partner agencies responsible of awareness raising in the Province, Districts and communes.
- Prepare TOR, duties and conditions of employment and participate in the selection of third parties (consultants, advisors, etc...) required for the programme’s awareness raising activities and supervise their inputs.
- Ensure planned and regular communication and collaboration between provincial, district, commune and hamlet levels’ key actors.
- Ensure quarterly review meetings with key actors and capitalize lessons learned.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports on the implementation of the awareness raising program and prepare quarterly financial plans to request donor funds.
- Link their project actors to similar projects in the country and abroad, and support the membership of their project actors to existing networks on awareness raising issues.
Specific duties of the CAS, in relation to the capacity development component, are to:
- Support the PPMU in further developing the programme’s capacity development component, targeting all the related agencies of the Province and the Districts;
- Assist in the implementation of the programme’s action plans and prepare new plans;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports on the implementation of the capacity development strategy and activities and prepare quarterly financial plans to request donor funds;
- Provide guidance on functional capacities (to engage stakeholders, to assess a situation and define a vision and mandate, to formulate policies and strategies, to budget, manage and implement, to evaluate and capitalize), through “on the job training” of the programme’s key partner organisations’ staff at province, district and local level;
- Prepare ToR for institutional-organisational capacity development issues (s.a. sector assessments, IOCA, training needs assessment, comprehensive staff training, organisation of seminars and study tours etc.; assess offers and follow up assignments and technical quality of performance and results
- Prepare duties and conditions of employment and participate in the selection of third parties (consultants, advisors, etc...) required for the programme’s capacity development and awareness raising activities and supervise their inputs.
- Link key partner agencies to similar projects or networks with the according sector experience in the country and abroad.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- A suitable university degree (Master or higher)
- At least 5 years experience in capacity development and awareness raising or institution development, of which at least 3 years in fields related to the water or sanitation sectors
- Excellent relational and communication skills
- Experience in writing technical specifications
- Very good ability to use computer and office software
- Excellent Knowledge of English
- Good interpersonal skills, self-motivated, team leader skills, initiative-taking and high sense of responsibility, team worker, high sense of social-environmental responsibility.
Only vietnamese nationals can apply.
Interested candidates are kindly requested to send their CV, copies of relevant certificates and 3 contact details of references of previous employers, in English and as soon as possible to the following email address: email@example.com.
For further information and clarification, candidates can contact:
Mr. Jozef De Smet, Chief Technical Advisor for the Belgian Development Agency in the project
35, Le Loi – TP Quy Nhon, Binh Dinh province
0084 (5) 63 82 07 81
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.